Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Exploration Three

Dixie Evans
Curator and Retired Exotic Dancer

My favorite quote from the passage was "when Marilyn died, I went into the most horrible depression, I couldn't believe it."  "I was booked two years in advance, All of the sudded, I was totally canceled"  This really showed how much she cared about Marilyn Monroe and also revealed how her career died with Marilyn.  All she had ever wanted to be was suddenly going down hill because the person she wanted to be was no longer in the picture.

I really enjoyed reading Dixie's profile and I thought she was a fascinating individual.  Starting off, I thought it was incredibly brave of her to leave at the age of eighteen when her father was deceased adn her mother was in a terrible state of mind.  I don't know that I would have the courage to leave my mother like that and go off on my own.  Dixie always had the dream of being in show business and she evenally joined Burlesque and imitated Marilyn Monroe.  They were the same age and Dixie had a very passionate love for Marilyn Monroe.  After all, she did built her career acting just like her.  She impacted me because I have always been a fan of Marilyn Monroe, reading some of her biographies.  Themes that went along with this passage were that dreams really can come true and abandonment.

www.burlesque.com

Dixie in her early years: 







You can definitely see the resemblence.





7 comments:

  1. At first I thought your picture was really Marilyn Monroe! It's incredible that she either really resemebled Marilyn or she made herself look so much like her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would have the courage either to just up and leave. I bet if Dixie had not gone into that depression after Marilyn died she would have done more than just a burlesque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that this was an interesting profile because she made her living by imitating Marilyn Monroe. That was my favorite passage as well, it had to be tough to leave your mother in that situation. The resemblence in the picture above is very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it was good that she left her mother, there wasn't anything she could do for her anyway in her state of depression, it was time for her to live her life away from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your comment about leaving a mother behind after a father's passing. The guts Dixie had to do such a thing, to aim for her dream, is just mind blowing. I doubt I could ever do that, to get the gumption to just go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the picture you used because it meant a lot to Dixie. I thought is was brave of her to leave at 18 as well because I couldn't do it now as a 19 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dixie Evans was an interesting profile to read and I am glad someone discussed about this profile. She truly was brave going off at the age of 18 to leave her mother. Also the photo you posted is a very interesting one.

    ReplyDelete