Monday, January 28, 2013

Donald Bean.

One of my favorite profile in Holding On was "Donald Bean Proprietor, Dinosaur Gardens Moscow, Texas" 

"There are two ways to look at the situation, though. There is a downside, to be sure: Bean's wife of 43 years has had to come out of retirement and take a job at a nearby convenience store in order to support her husband's dinosaur habit." 

It was not the person or his dream that impacted me as much as the idea of believing in something so strongly that you would do anything to accomplish something. I do admire his wife so much though because I do not know if I'd be able to do that for someone, be put through so much and it not matter that all of our money was spent and that I had to do everything I could to keep the money coming. In our culture today I do not think that there is many people like that out there that would do something so significant for someone we love that is not our blood relative.
I decided to look up theme parks in Ohio that are privately owned such as Bean's I found a place called Stricker's Grove. It is mainly a theme park just for people in groups but is also opened 4 days of the year to the public.



http://www.strickersgrove.com/

Rated: 3.3 out of 5 (45 votes)
Theme Park Details
Park type: Picnic Park
Opening year: 1924
Park size: 25 acres
Attractions: 16
Roller Coasters: 2
Operating Season
Private Park
Location
11490 Hamilton-Cleves Road
Ross, OH 45061
Phone: (513) 738-3366 (513) 521-9747
Map & Directions

6 comments:

  1. I am glad someone else also did the profile of Donald Bean. This was an interesting profile since he was able to follow his dream with the help of his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the part about our culture today not being able to put up with helping someone who is not relatives i don't even think that people would help their blood relatives like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I would come out of retirement to support my husbands dream... if it was a crazy as that one. That's true love right there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess it just all comes down to love. I guess the way that I look at it is this: when you marry someone you join together and you're dreams become their dreams and vise versa, and if it is true love you will do anything to help them accomplish their dream which is now also your dream. I think that her willingness to give up retirement for the man she loved just shows the strength that love can have on people. I don't I guess I'm kind of a romantic, but yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that I would come out of retirement to support my husbands habbit, espicially if it was something that I didn't share the same passion for. His wife sacraficed a lot to make him happy and I hope now he is doing the same for her. Using 100,000 dollars to start an unsuccessful theme part would have to take a toll on a marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your post, its very structured and I like the picture choice. I don't see how his wife handles this obsession either, maybe because she loves him so much that she puts his happiness above her own.

    ReplyDelete