Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Scene

One cold, wintery morning I woke up for school as usual. I had to be at my field experience in about 45 minutes, so I didn't have much time to work with. As I was finishing up my make-up, my brother, Jason, came into my room with an unusual look on his face. He looked at me for a second, and then he said softly, "Mom just called. Uncle Mitch died."
 I was in shock. My heart suddenly sunk and I felt cold. All I could say was, "Are you serious?", because I've never had anyone close to me die before and it felt surreal. "Why...how...what happened?"
My brother replied, trying not to sound too distraught, "Yeah. They think he died of alcohol poisoning. He went to the hospital last night and died sometime early this morning." After that he left my room. If I know my brother correctly, he did not want to show me any emotion, which is why he couldn't stay with me for long.
Left in my room, all alone, I sank down to my bed. Tears began to well up in my eyes. My hands began to shake a little, and I felt the streams down my face. I only had about ten minutes before I had to leave, and I didn't want to miss because I have only have so much time to get all my hours in for my field experience. But within those ten minutes, I cried. I let out the feelings that had overcome me, and I just sat on my bed, with my hands over my eyes, and cried.
Later that night my family got together at my grandma's house. Let me tell you, the worst sight in the world is seeing my grandma cry. It just broke my heart to see how hurt she was. But my family is very close, and we were there to support her, and to support each other. We didn't need to say much. It was simply the presence of having each other near, knowing that we were all going through the same heartache, that made everything okay, if just for a moment. It as amazing to see how much we love and care for one another, and I know that, no matter what, I will always have my family there for me.

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to this and can say that the "heart sunk" feeling is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding out that someone really close to you has passed away is the worst feeling ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Luke, I can relate.

    The way you write your brother, how is closed with emotions. I think most people would have skipped over that, so it was nice to see you add him in with his reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to this as well, too many times. It's a horrible feeling. I'm sorry for your loss. Family and friends play such a major role in situations such as this.

    ReplyDelete